View this article on the Austin Apartments Now Slideshare Account!
You may have already figured this out: Landlords tend not to be very appreciative of pets. If you have a cat or a dog, your search will be more difficult, but definitely not impossible. As a general rule, the tighter the rental market gets, the more selective landlords will become, showing a preference for tenants who don’t have pets, particularly dogs.
Here are some good tips for renting with pets:
1) Most apartments will accept pets to some degree. Restrictions usually center around the quantity of pets you have, aggressive breed dogs, or large pets.
2) Start by looking for pet-friendly apartments. Apartment complexes with dog-parks, or that offer some units with small yards, are more likely to be accept more breeds or large
3) Get some references for your pet. Former landlords or building managers are best. Even your vet may put in a good word. The point is to make it clear that you don’t have a problem pet.
4) Much of the resistance to dogs is a fear they will bark too much (especially when the tenant isn’t home), disturbing other tenants. If your dog is not of the barking variety, be sure to emphasize that when applying for a place.
5) Some cat-friendly managers may consider small dogs.
6) Cats have a better chance of being accepted if they are declawed, neutered and guaranteed to be housebroken.
7) Houses are more likely to accept your pet, as they often have yards, so you might want to concentrate on that route.
We help renters find Austin pet-friendly apartments all the time. If you have a pet, and you are looking for an apartment in Austin that accepts pets, just give us a call at 512-258-8224 or 800-530-5832. Our locators have extensive experience in this area. Our service is always free. Use our expertise to save you a lot of time and money in your search for the perfect pet-friendly Austin apartment!